[NIFL-ESL:8758] Re: teachers' rights and "ostrichlike tendencies"

From: Ujwala Samant (usamant@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 15:48:07 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:48:07 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ujwala Samant <usamant@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8758] Re: teachers' rights and "ostrichlike tendencies"

>>The sentiments expressed below represent an
ideal which cannot be realized until teachers and
students have some basic rights. If teachers have to
worry about being unjustly fired, then it is also
naive to expect anyone to "talk Freire." If students
can be insulted and worse for talking in their native
language (which is a violation of the first
amendment), then how can we establish an environment
of trust so as to begin discussions about larger
issues? If English Only is the "law" - then how can
there be discussions of anything, especially in
classes for beginning students? <<

You have just proved my point. We have decided for our learners what they
need to know, how much and what kind of knowledge they need. We also ask our
learners to Come to learning, instead of bringing it to them. We do not have
a national policy on ESOL levels, curriculum, nor teacher qualifications. We
have no standards for testing either. We have vastly varying opinions on
what kind of English needs to be taught. We work in muddy waters Mr. Rogers,
that is what I was referring to. The interpretation of what kind of English,
what aspects of knowledge need to be learned are left to either
administrators or teachers. I have interviewed numerous teachers who had NO
background in ESOL, much less adult education (a number were k-12 trained),
who were thrown into an ESOL class and told, "Teach." I am not criticising
teachers, but we cannot seriously believe that even our beginning learners
do not hold political opinions or are worried about the state of the nation
and their own survival?

regards
Ujwala Samant