[NIFL-ESL:8724] RE: Explicit early teaching of pronunciation?

From: Lorry Shoniber (LShoniber@wichitatech.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 18:39:31 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:39:31 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lorry Shoniber" <LShoniber@wichitatech.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8724] RE: Explicit early teaching of pronunciation?

Mr. Russell,
I tend to agree with your approach to pronunciation. In my own second language learning thirty-something years ago I experienced the "silent period" while learning in-country. When our current ABE/ESL teachers express concern about pronunciation, my response is generally that it should be limited. I do not know of research to support this but I do know that the "silent period" gave me time for my ear to interpret the new sounds and patterns I heard daily. Our adult beginning students may never completely hear some of our English sounds. However, in my opinion they will benefit by extended listening experiences without pressure to produce the difficult sounds.

Lorry Shoniber
Wichita, KS
lshoniber@wichitatech.com