[NIFL-ESL:8520] Re: [NIFL-4EFF:2289] RE: Task Force Named for CAAL Community Coll

From: Gail Spangenberg (gspangenberg@caalusa.org)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 07:54:55 EST

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:54:55 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Gail Spangenberg <gspangenberg@caalusa.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8520] Re: [NIFL-4EFF:2289] RE: Task Force Named for CAAL Community Coll

Friends,

I personally want to assure you that CAAL itself is committed to
seeing that voluntary organizations, CBOS, and other key components
of the provider system are properly protected and represented in this
exercise.  In fact, one of the motivating forces for the founding of
CAAL was my belief that voluntary organizations/CBOs at the local
level are getting short shrift in the application of current law, and
in the allocation of funds whether from state or federal sources.
This despite the fact that they are the key players when it comes to
providing service to adults at the lowest proficiency levels.

Community colleges are one of many resources  -- libraries are
another -- that are available as service providers to the adult
education and literacy system, and what CAAL means to do is look for
ways that the colleges and  the adult education and literacy system
can do a better job, on their own and together, in service to adult
literacy.  We believe both parties to the equation stand to benefit.
You will note that we have been careful on the task force to select
people who can well represent the interests of voluntary and other
ABE groups.

I hope that anyone who wants to share their views and concerns and
hopes with the project study director, Forrest Chisman, will do so.
Feel free to e-mail him at forrest@crosslink.net.  You will
appreciate that he will not have time for listserv discoursing, but I
know that he will welcome hearing from any interested parties
directly.  I will be glad to hear from you, too, of course, and will
be pleased to pass along your comments.  I have a special fondness in
my heart for local LVA and Laubach tutoring programs.

Gail S

Gail Spangenberg
President
Council for Advancement of Adult Literacy
1221 Avenue of the Americas - 50th Fl
New York, NY 10020

--

212-512-2362, fax 212-512-2610