[NIFL-ESL:9595] RE: Dialogue/reflective journals

From: Hillary Gardner (hgardner@lagcc.cuny.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 11:19:27 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:19:27 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Hillary Gardner" <hgardner@lagcc.cuny.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9595] RE: Dialogue/reflective journals

Dear Cristina and all,

I want to say that my approach to writing journals is very similar to
yours. Our classes meet Mon through Thurs so I usually give students a
writing topic for the weekend. They turn them in on Mondays and I try to
respond by the next day of class. I make sure they understand that this
journal is separate from the notebook they must bring to class for notes
and exercises so I'm not under any time pressure to get them read.
Rather than "correcting" these journals, I try to respond to the content
of what students write about, although sometimes I am able to give
students mini grammar lessons if I see them repeat a typical mistake.
Sometimes too I just copy out useful vocabulary that they may have
spelled wrong.

As Cristina says, I love these journals for the opportunity they give
me to get to know students better. I look forward to reading them. I
have also had great success with stickers (which is usually just once
per week in my case). In fact, students who are reluctant to write often
start participating when they see the other students getting their
journals back (with their choice of sticker). It seems a little silly,
but it also seems to keep them motivated.

By the end of the course (3 months), students usually have several
pages to look back on. Students who continue in other of our courses
sometimes continue to fill the same notebook. I think it gives them
confidence because it gives them physical evidence that they are
writers.

Hillary Gardner, Instructor
Center for Immigrant Education and Training
La Guardia Community College
29-10 Thomson Avenue, Room C231
Long Island City, NY  11101
718-482-5460

>>> Cleomathew@aol.com 11/1/2003 10:26:48 AM >>>
Hello all,

I started using journaling in my beginning ESL class when the class got

large. I wanted to know the students better individually, but there was
never
enough time in class. I have since fallen in love with journaling.

Initially I tried to do dialogue journaling but it was too difficult
for most
of my beginning students. Now we do a guided writing exercise, and they
are
invited to write about anything that they want and I will respond.

Most only do the guided writing exercises, but a few do write pages a
week
for me to read. One student likes for me to give her a list of 5
unrelated words
and then she uses them in a sentence or sentences.

I used to respond every day with comments and stickers, but it was
taking too
much time. Now I respond on the weekend. The stickers are very popular,

especially my silly fish stickers. I think most feel a sense of
accomplishment in
the journals, and I clearly see improvements over time and so can they.

Thanks for the ideas and discussion,
Christina L. Mathew
ESL Teacher with DeKalb Tech. Adult Ed.
Atlanta, GA