[NIFL-ESL:9076] Re: Canada's language benchmarks

From: Pauline Mcnaughton (pmcnaughton@language.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 16:02:11 EDT

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:02:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Pauline Mcnaughton" <pmcnaughton@language.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9076] Re: Canada's language benchmarks

Hello,

Information about the Canadian Language Benchmarks and the tests listed
below is available at http://www.language.ca.  The standards can be
downloaded free of charge - both main document as well as the separate
publication of the literacy benchmarks.

Right now the CCLB recognized assessment tools used for placement into
federal and provincial ESL programs include these low stakes tests
-CLBA -the original Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment (CLB levels 1-8)
-CLBLA - the companion Canadian Language Benchmark Literacy Assessment (CLB
Literacy Benchmark levels)
-CLBPT -the new streamlined Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLB
levels 1-8)
-a new companion Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test for CLB Literacy
levels has been developed and is awaiting national validation process

For the upper CLB levels 9-10 (levels of English typically required for
postsecondary/professions/trades up to postgraduate levels, the CCLB
recognizes the use of the University of Ottawa developed CanTEST which has
been validated against the CLB for CLB levels 7-10.  The CanTEST can report
results in CLB levels in addition to its own rating system.

The federal government funds the national assessment system including the
training and certification of assessors.  These assessors use the
CLBA/CLBLA/CLBPT.  Some provincial government also co-fund national
assessment centres to support their programs.  Some provincially funded ESL
programs use their funding to train in-house assessors in use of CLBA and/or
CLBPT.

We are also in the final stages of developing a new national Canadian
English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses for internationally
educated nurses seeking to work in Canada.