[NIFL-ESL:9335] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 17:16:50 EDT

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:16:50 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9335] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Think about what you are saying from another prospective. If you as an
American could live and work in Europe and were able to stay with other
Americans who lived and worked in Europe and didn't have a need to learn a
language than it wouldn't be a problem. Learning a new language is a
difficult task that takes time and patience but the most important
prerequisite to learning a new language is whether the person feels the need
to learn that new language. Miami is an international city where there
should be a need for all its citizens to be bilingual. The same would be
true for cities like Toronto and many European cities. To survive in an
international city the English-only philosophy will not work, especially in
a city where you are a minority if are an English-only speaker. There will
always be people in all international cities that do not know all the
primary languages because either the culture of that city does not require
that learn both languages or because learning a language the older you get
becomes more difficult. I forget the scholar name who pointed out that in
order to learn a new language one must both have the right attitude as well
as an appropriate aptitude. Some argue that if we make laws require
English-only than we solve the problem and force immigrants to feel the need
to communicate in English. This solution is short-sighted. Are we Americans
because we speak English? Is it patriotic to English-Speaking only or is it
just plain discrimination against the immigrant plight. We are hypocrites if
we say it is OK for Americans to live and work in a foreign country and not
learn the language and then tell our foreign-born workers that they must
speak English-only. The other problem is how do they learn without proper
teaching. I do not see English-only laws as patriotic. I see it as
discrimination.
-Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com