[NIFL-ESL:9300] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Joe Little (fyi@americanliteracy.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 17:48:23 EDT

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:48:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Joe Little <fyi@americanliteracy.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9300] Re: Accept English Only donation?

>  One suggestion would be for students to investigate the group (as an
>  exercise).  Financials should be public, as are mission statements, etc.
>  See what percentage of their budget goes for ESL.  There is no paucity of
>  newspaper articles at relatively easy reading levels that go into an array
>  of issues and cases associated with English Only.  Some go into employees
>  suing employers for their right to speak their native language on the job; others
>  tell the exact opposite.  And of course, English Only's strong connection to
>  right wing, anti-immigrant forces are well documented and easy to understand.

Laurie, Cathy, and all,

I love the idea of investigating the financial statement and mission statement of the  English Only organization. That's clear,factual stuff. Many folks-- present company excluded, hopefully -- would stear clear of that, opting instead for liberal-rant, leftist-
rave articles from our libero-centric friends in the media.

>  That the group approached you with the unabashed intention to use their
>  donation as a PR stint to push "their" political agenda reminds me of a
>  slogan on a t-shirt complete w/caps and exclamation points I saw just last
>  weekend in NJ:  "Welcome to America.  Now SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!"   As ESL
>  professionals, we know that the bottom line is xenophobia.

Bottom line of what? That slogan? Produced by whom? Probably the vast left-wing conspiracy...but seriously, the t-shirt u saw reminds me of a haiku i read not three
hours ago:

Welcome to America.
Do what u like.
We'll give u tax dollar.