[NIFL-ESL:9735] RE: voiced or unvoiced S, pronunciation of sword.

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 16:22:39 EST

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:22:39 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9735] RE: voiced or unvoiced S, pronunciation of sword.

I'm guessing this may be part of the same phenomenon that is seeing the
increased pronunciation of the "t" in "often," which for many years was
considered silent. It may well be a function of the focus on phonics. Most
of us know that phonics is flawed in English because the language was
written down when things were pronounced differently. As the pronunciation
shifts, the spelling doesn't usually change, and so you end up with words
being spelled strangely compared with their current pronunciation. At some
point, the word was obviously pronounced with the "t" but it dropped out of
pronunciation for a long time until recently.

I do think I occasionally hear the word "sword" to rhyme with "toward,"
which another word that varies -- sometimes with the "w" and sometimes
without. In a choir I sing in, we have the word "toward," and the director
has instructed us to pronounce it "tord" because it sounds too weird with
the "w" in it.

As for reintroducing lost sounds, what about the "gh" in daughter, laughter,
night, and others? Since that sound actually doesn't exist in English any
more, it would be difficult. (I don't see any moves in that direction, just
speculating.) Around here we have a major thoroughfare called McLoughlin
Blvd, and it's usually pronounced like magloflin. But I read a newspaper
article that pointed out that in early written accounts it was occasionally
spelled like McGlocklin, suggesting that it indeed had that hard k sound
back in the throat that we don't typically pronounce in English (similar to
the J or X in Spanish/Mexico, or the "gh" in German, which is of course
where much of English came from). Somehow, it came down through the years
pronounced with the "f" sound instead of the "k" sound. One wonders whether
in another hundred years it would disappear, but I can't even imagine how it
would be pronounced then.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Manager Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA