[NIFL-ESL:9717] Re: Help needed in teaching ESL students

From: Susan Ryan (susanefl@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 14:29:44 EST

Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:29:44 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Susan Ryan" <susanefl@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9717] Re: Help needed in teaching ESL students

The student I tutored loved the "simple ideas". Go with what they need to
know in practical life
activities was my experience. She wanted to walk around the kitchen and
identify the names of appliances, furniture and kitchenwares. Then we made a
list to grocery shop!
Susan

>From: AWilder106@aol.com
>To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
>Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9716] Re: Help needed in teaching ESL students
>Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:00:04 -0500 (EST)
>
>Dear Teachers,
>
>I should have changed the subject heading in my previous email.  In brief,
>I will be teaching ESL to 2 Bulgarian adults, possibly two evenings a week.
>  His skills are better than hers, both are  eager learners.  They want to
>speak and understand English better than they do now.  How should I go
>about this?  I have some simple ideas, but yours will be a lot better, I
>expect. In Bulgaria, both were teachers. It seems to me I should have a
>variety of activities, all aimed at strengthening hearing/listening and
>speaking.  Advice, please!
>
>Thanks.
>
>Andrea

Get holiday tips for festive fun.