[NIFL-ESL:9687] RE: literature/childrens/ya

From: bodman@ucc.edu
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 22:25:52 EST

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:25:52 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: bodman@ucc.edu
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9687] RE: literature/childrens/ya

I agree that some children's literature is outstanding and the art can be
wonderful.  However, some adult students take offense at being taught from
children's materials.  (I have found this to be especially true of educated
adults and Eastern Europeans.) They feel infantile enough just having to
make baby noises and little sentences to express themselves.  They want very
much to be treated as mature, learning adults.  In other words, be careful
about using children's things.  Try to find simple materials with themes
that are of interest to adults.

Jean Bodman
Union County College
bodman@ucc.edu