[NIFL-ESL:9673] RE: esl/regions

From: Susan Ryan (susanefl@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 19:47:45 EST

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:47:45 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Susan Ryan" <susanefl@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9673] RE: esl/regions

I would like to hear from some of you who work or have worked for a company
that hires ESL teachers to teach their non-English speaking personnel. And
what materials (textbooks) you have found that were good for this project. i
know with shift workers it has been a problem in some
companies in Florida to get this going on a regular basis. I wonder how some
of this has been overcome.
Susan

>From: james phillips <jphilip@tenet.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
>Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9665] esl/regions
>Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:23:54 -0500 (EST)
>
>NIFL-ESLers,
>
>            I'm new here.  This is my first post and inquiry.  I'd like
>to know what is the first language of those you are teaching ESL?  In
>this part of the world most are Spanish speakers who are learning
>English.  There are many ways and places to learn English.  There are
>school districts and support service groups like UMOS, for example.
>
>             Spanish speakers here also watch television from Mexico
>City, Monterrey, and local Mexican tv stations.  These stations
>advertise ESL programs for those living in Mexico.  For example, there's
>'Ingles sin Barreras', Harmon Hall, and Disney.  And, now, these are
>being used here in tropical deep south Texas.
>
>             There was a time when I could go to the mall and just
>sitting around while Mexican tourists took a braek from shopping I could
>have conversations and hear different sounds from here to Mexico City,
>Oaxaca, Nayarit, and Vera Cruz, for example.  But, now, it's common to
>have a willing interlocutor begin to want to practice their English.
>And, they give me all the details about doing business in the USA for
>their companies and they always want to emphasize to their children that
>the English that they to are studying is good and useful.  Especially,
>when they see their parents conversing in English.  On one occasion, I
>began conversing with a young lady who began to speak to me in English
>and explained that since she had studied to be an interpreter/translator
>in Mexico, she always looked forward to practicing her English with a
>willing interlocutor.  Which was, in this case, me.
>
>             Also, these days in the NAFTA factories English, Spanish,
>Japanese, Chinese, German, etc are important.  Companies hire teachers
>to teach English to the Mexican workers, Spanish to the management, and
>a third language is needed to talk to corporate offices in other
>countries.
>
>James Phillips, MLS
>Librarian
>South Texas Community College
>Dr. Ramiro R. Casso Nursing and Allied Health Center
>1101 East Vermont
>McAllen, Texas 78501
>956-683-3121
>956-683-3190 (fax)
>www.stcc.cc.tx.us
>www.stcc.cc.tx.us/nah
>phillips@stcc.cc.tx.us
>jphilip@tenet.edu
>se habla español

Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year — six months
@$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup