[NIFL-ESL:9501] Re: Favorite ESL Lessons

From: Jennifer Morrow (jmorrow@jcplin.org)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 15:10:38 EDT

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:10:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jennifer Morrow" <jmorrow@jcplin.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9501] Re: Favorite ESL Lessons

Thanks Sandra!
I have both books and especially like Zero Prep for Beginners.  My first night I used the survey activity from that book and the students loved it.  My problem is that my supervisor does not approve of those kinds of activities.  She made the comment that it is fine to be creative but that I needed to "hit the books" soon.  She believes in learning from a workbook and not the teacher.  The nice thing is that makes the job much easier but I have a hard time believing that is authentic learning.  Any advice for working with her?  I just want to be ready with some evidence that my students are learning through techniques and whole group activities like the ones in these books.
Thanks!
Jennifer