[NIFL-ESL:9467] RE: Accept English-only donation, etc.

From: Ujwala Samant (lalumineuse@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 04:07:40 EDT

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 04:07:40 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ujwala Samant <lalumineuse@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9467] RE: Accept English-only donation, etc.

Yes, I think survival literacy is a relatively
unmentioned subject. Immigrants come here to lead
better lives, to survive, to give their children
better lives. When I see a 20 year old Haitian working
two jobs to pay for his upkeep and send money home to
help Maman, or a 19 year old Sierra Leonian working at
Walmart to send money to her sister (depending whether
she is in the hills or the plains), I know they aren't
looking for Ralph  Lauren or to buy the new Beetle.
They of course (like everyone else) dream of things,
but their feet are very firmly planted in the reality
and the poverty of their lives.

regards
Ujwala Samant