[NIFL-ESL:9163] Re: Esl multilevel class

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 22:41:36 EDT

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:41:36 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9163] Re: Esl multilevel class

Anna:

Wow! There are no easy answers here without knowing more about your students
and I will have to know more about your students to really give you any real
help. The first thing I would do is to take the 6 students who are language
graduates and pair them with the 6 who cannot answer the question, "What is
your name?" Tell me more about your students and the languages they speak
and their english language proficiency. I always want to know as much about
my students as possible before I plan how best to help each student. Do all
these students come form Italy and speak Italian or are they from around the
world and speak several different languages?

Then I would translate the few sentences for the course into each of
different native languages and English and write each sentence on sentence
strips. Have them write and draw in a journal the sentences that the course
demands they learn. Next, I would think of real world situations where
students would need to use these sentences and role-play different scenarios
in English. See if you can get a bingual dictionary for each student. Break
up the course into the sentences that you want them to learn each week and
review each week their journal of what they have previously learned.

Do you have use of any computers, tape recorders, language masters? Do you
know of any vocabulary games to play with the students?

 I would start each class by saying, My name is Anna Capalbo? What is your
name? Then that student would answer and go to the next student and say My
name is Ken Taber. What is your name? This simple What Is Your Name Game
should help all your students translate the first sentence. What are the
other sentences that the students need to learn?

There is a book I do recommend it is called, "The More-Than-Just-Surviving
Handbook-ESL for Every Classroom Teacher-2nd Edition" by Barbara Law and
Mary Eckes. (ISBN 1-894110-53-6) Peguis Publishers, Winnipeg, Canada 2000
books@peguis.com

Hope this helps,
Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com