[NIFL-ESL:8693] Re: RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

From: Carol Speigl (cleespeig@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 11:59:43 EST

From: "Carol Speigl" <cleespeig@worldnet.att.net>
To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8693] Re: RE: War as a cross-cultural issue
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 10:59:43 -0600

Allan,
I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I see my job as teaching my students to
read, write, speak, and comprehend English.  I try to do so by introducing
life skills as well as critical thinking skills.  I will introduce a topic
(prior to introducing the topic we agree to disagree with respect for each
individual's opinion)  I never give my opinion until the end and then only
if asked.  I make it clear however, that my opinion is just "my opinion" and
does not mean that the students should adopt it. Just because our students
have not mastered English does not mean that they can't make their own
decisions.  My job is to help them express their own opinions based on an
exchange of information among the members of the class.

Carol Speigl