[NIFL-ESL:8593] RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

From: French, Allan (afrench@sccd.ctc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 17:32:45 EST

Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8593] RE: War as a cross-cultural issue
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:32:45 -0800
From: "French, Allan" <afrench@sccd.ctc.edu>
To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>, "Multiple recipients of list" <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>

While I have strong opinions on many national issures, I don't feel comfortable being an advocate  for one stand or another in the classroom.  As educators in (or from) a democratic system, I feel that we have the professional obligation to inform our students of (or show them how to find out about):(1) the basic facts of the case, (2) what the American president does as well as his reasons for doing so, also (3)to inform our students of the criticisms of the president's policies, then (4) let the students discuss and decide for themselves, and to possibly reflect on their own nations' past policies.  As an ESL instructor, my priority is always to take advantage of the content to lead them to improved English literacy and communication.  This latter is more important to me than the content itself.  How well they learn and discuss is more important than whether they end up agreeing with me or not.  If they initiate the inquiry, then I try to draw their own perceptions and understanding out as clearly as their level of English can make it.  If anything, I play devil's advocate against any side, just to get them to better describe or explain their own understanding and positions.

Allan French
ESL Instructor
South Seattle Community College
afrench@sccd.ctc.edu