[NIFL-ESL:8583] Re: Re: Impending Attack on Iraq

From: Robb Scott (jayhawk76@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 09:35:20 EST

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 06:35:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Robb Scott <jayhawk76@yahoo.com>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8583] Re: Re: Impending Attack on Iraq
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov

I would like to refer readers to the Letter
to the President of the United States, representing
the voice of TESOL, from Mary Lou McCloskey, President
of TESOL. The letter is at:
http://www.tesol.org/pdfs/lettertopresident.pdf .

Here's the first paragraph of this great letter:

"As members of the Board of Directors of TESOL
(Teachers of English to Speakers of Other
Languages), a 14,000-member international professional
organization of educators,
researchers and linguists, with members in 50 states
and 130 countries, we urge you and
members of the United States Congress to resist calls
for unilateral action against Iraq and to
work with the United Nations to address the threat
that is posed by the reign of Saddam
Hussein."

On John's other point, how to teach students using
the Iraq crisis as context, I would suggest debates
and argument essay writing. I think it's O.K. for the
teacher to express an opinion, but it may be more
effective for language learning if the teacher merely
facilitates a great exchange of views.

Good luck!

Robb Scott

--- John Kamplain