[NIFL-ESL:9026] Re: Presentation

From: Mona Curtis (MCurtis@tvcc.cc)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 10:16:24 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:16:24 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mona Curtis" <MCurtis@tvcc.cc>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9026] Re: Presentation

That is our experience as well.  However we have encountered very little
resistance to improving Spanish literacy skills.  In fact, many people
come to us precisely for Spanish literacy skills.

>>> sylvan@cccchs.org 05/23/03 07:37AM >>>
I can give you my own experience with Spanish. I found it much easier
read and write in Spanish than to understand and especially to speak.
It
could be said that it's because I have CALPS in English, and find
reading
and writing easy in general.

I have observed that students come with different proficiency levels
in
Listening/Speaking or Reading/Writing. For some one set of skills is
easier
and for some the other set is easier. Those with low literacy levels
in
their native language find it *very* difficult to R/W in English, but
can
often get S/L skills fairly quickly. This is because they are fearless
about
trying things, and are very comfortable with oral expression, I would
guess.

We teach Spanish language literacy in our program in order to improve
student's chance of learning both S/L and R/W in English. Sometimes
they
resist that, wanting only English, but we have seen over and over again
that
when they improve their Spanish language skills, their English
language
skills come along much faster. (No documented research here, just
anecdotal.)

Sylvan Rainwater   .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission/Head Start
Oregon City, Oregon