[NIFL-ESL:9736] words ending in s or z sound

From: Tom Zurinskas (truespel@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 20:47:27 EST

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:47:27 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tom Zurinskas" <truespel@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9736] words ending in s or z sound

Regarding pronunciation, there is a USA English pronunciation guide on the
web at http://www.foreignword.com/dictionary/truespel/transpel.htm   Paste
up to 500 words and hit convert.  It shows which plurals end in s or z.
Incidently more end in the z sound than in the s sound.  Note that the
phonetic spelling key is at the bottom of the first page with the percent
appearance in the truespel dictionary.

Tom Zurinskas
truespel.com

Truespel is the world’s first keyboard friendly pronunciation guide spelling
system. See truespel.com.

>From: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
>To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
>Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9734] NIFL-ESL digest 2349
>Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:26:13 -0500 (EST)
>
>			    NIFL-ESL Digest 2349
>
>Topics covered in this issue include:
>
>   1) family literacy evaluation
>	by Albert Wat <ayw@georgetown.edu>
>   2) Re: family literacy evaluation
>	by "Mona Curtis" <mcurtis@tvcc.cc>
>   3) Re: Comprehension and Vocabulary
>	by "Mona Curtis" <mcurtis@tvcc.cc>
>   4) voiced or unvoiced S, pronunciation of sword.
>	by =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOWI2NiEhSH5ERTtSGyhK?= <applepie@minos.ocn.ne.jp>
>   5) Re: voiced or unvoiced S, pronunciation of sword.
>	by "Corinne Moran" <cmoranmv@gis.net>
>   6) Re: voiced or unvoiced S, pronunciation of
>	by Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson <varshna@grandecom.net>
>   7) Re: Comprehension and Vocabulary
>	by "Bonnie Odiorne" <bonniesophia@adelphia.net>
>   8) Re: voiced or unvoiced S, pronunciation of sword.
>	by "Judy Rittenhouse" <jrittenhouse@alclv.org>
>   9) Re: voiced or unvoiced S, pronunciation of sword.
>	by "susan guzzetta" <scguzze@fresno.k12.ca.us>
>  10) Re: Naughty and nice (to borrow a phrase)
>	by "Shanpin Fanchiang" <sfanchiang@dhs.co.la.ca.us>

>Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:54:44 -0500
>From: Albert Wat <ayw@georgetown.edu>
>To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
>Subject: family literacy evaluation
>
>Hi,
>
>Several years ago, when I did more work with family literacy, I learned
>about an evaluation instrument that looked at the impact of family
>literacy programs on the home environment (e.g., amount of literacy
>resources at home, prevalence of literacy activities in the family,
>etc.).  It consisted of a pre- and post-survey and a CD-ROM that helped
>you analyze the data.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  If not, can
>someone suggest a similar instrument?
>
>Thank you!
>
>--
>
>Albert Wat, Program Coordinator
>DC Schools Project
>Office of Volunteer & Public Service - Center for Social Justice
>Georgetown University, Poulton Hall
>1421 37th St., NW, 1st Floor
>Washington, DC 20057
>Tel: (202)687-8868  Fax: (202)687-8980
>https://data.georgetown.edu/outreach/csj/service/programs/dcsp/
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:43:46 -0700
>From: "Mona Curtis" <mcurtis@tvcc.cc>
>To: <ayw@georgetown.edu>, <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
>Subject: Re: family literacy evaluation
>
>It sounds like ESPIRS (I don't know what that stands for) which was used by
>Even Start in the past but eventually eliminated because it was too
>cumbersome.  Self evaluation surveys are the most common evaluation tools
>for family literacy but they are, in my humble opinion, quite flawed and
>progress in family literacy is so complex I think it defies evaluation.  We
>simply don't know what exact affects our work with families have, although
> [...]

Enjoy the holiday season with great tips from MSN.