[NIFL-ESL:9701] RE: literature/childrens/ya

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 16:25:38 EST

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:25:38 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9701] RE: literature/childrens/ya

Indeed. One of the advantages of being in a Family Literacy program is that
the use of good children's literature is self-evident. The parents want to
be able to read to their children, and of course we encourage that in all
sorts of ways, including having them do that on site.

I don't *only* use children's books, of course. I also have the Picture
Dictionary and activities from that for low-level learners, and now a
computer lab (which I'm just beginning to explore how to use), the
newspaper, and other scrounged materials from all over. There are really so
many resources out there for free that I have no interest in paying money
for some canned curriculum.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA