[NIFL-ESL:9667] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 13:09:06 EST

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:09:06 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9667] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

So, what's the point of assessment? And how do we decide what to teach in
our classes? What's driving what? It seems to me that unless we look at the
outcomes we want to see for our students (or what they tell us they want to
see for themselves) we are working in an artificial environment.

Outcomes-based education looks at desired outcomes first (what do they need
to know how to do out there in the "real world" that we are responsible for
teaching them "in here"?), and then figures out what students can do to
prove that they've learned how to do those things. Those performance tasks
are real assessments.

Of course, sometimes the performance task is that they can pass a test so
they can move to another level <sigh>, but it's important for us all to keep
in mind what the students really need in order to function out there in the
real world, and to structure our classroom activities accordingly.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA