[NIFL-ESL:9602] RE: from The Chronicle of

From: Lalyre, Yvonne L (YLalyre@doe.mass.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 09:30:51 EST

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:30:51 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lalyre, Yvonne L" <YLalyre@doe.mass.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9602] RE: from The Chronicle of

The key is "organizing". As Ken implied, the value and power of unions have
been blasted for decades, to the extent that people feel demoralized and
ashamed of them. If all part-time teachers united, then we would really see
what needs to be changed. Some people use part-time work as a necessary
diversion but many others use it as a means of living. It is necessary to
sort out how many of each there are and who they are,so that the first don't
lose the flexibility and that the rest have the benefits they deserve.
 ivonne