[NIFL-ESL:9574] Re: Evaluation forms

From: kate.diggins (kate.diggins@slc.k12.ut.us)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 13:15:23 EDT

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:15:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "kate.diggins" <kate.diggins@slc.k12.ut.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9574] Re: Evaluation forms

I really enjoyed your message about program evaluation by your students.  I
am going to try to adapt some of your question to use in our program, which
is very similar to yours.  My problem is that, because our program is free
and our students are, for the most part, educationally disadvantaged, I have
a tough time getting useful feedback from them.  The don't want to
seem "ungrateful" by saying anything that might sound critical.  Also, they
have trouble understanding the concept of evaluation and feedback.  They
think that, because I'm the teacher, I know best (would that it were true!),
and they should just trust me to know what they need.  Do you run into these
same problems?  How do you handle them?