[NIFL-ESL:9516] Re: Favorite ESL Lessons

From: Sandra Heyer (heyer@ticon.net)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 16:36:36 EDT

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sandra Heyer <heyer@ticon.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9516] Re: Favorite ESL Lessons

Dear Jennifer,
Well, here's my 2 cents worth, as a veteran teacher.  I think it's fine
to do some traditional work in a textbook or workbook--filling in
blanks, etc., one page after another--because it's what many students
expect to do in a language class.  It seems to make students comfortable
and gives them confidence in the teacher, so that they later trust the
teacher's judgment when it comes to less familiar activities.  In other
words, it probably won't hurt your students if you incorporate some
traditional paper-and-pencil work into your lesson plan to appease your
supervisor, and there may be some benefits for your students (though
maybe not linguistic ones). Sharron Bassano and Mary Ann Christison, who
have come up with many innovative activities, give this advice, too, in
a book called Community Spirit, also at Alta.  (And no, I am not in any
way affiliated with Alta!)
Unless your supervisor insists on something you really can't live
with--2 hours of straight workbook pages!--my advice would be to take
the "smile and nod" approach, adding some traditional work, but making
the "creative" activities your mainstay.
Incidentally, one tiny word of warning about a class made up only of
these types of activities:  You still need to have some overall grand
plan of where you want your students to be a month, 2 months from now,
so that your lessons don't seem to be a hodgepodge of unrelated
activities.  Abbie Tom made some practical suggestions a few years ago
in Hands-on English for organizing curriculum by themes.  That would be
a nice way of tying together the workbook work and all the interactive
activities.  She and Anna Silliman, the editor of Hands-on,  both chime
in from time to time on this list--maybe they'll throw their 2 cents
worth into this discussion.
Good luck--your class sounds great.
Sandra