[NIFL-ESL:9431] RE: Illiteracy

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 19:16:36 EDT

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:16:36 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9431] RE: Illiteracy

As others have pointed out, we don't have a "Spanish-only" policy in any of
our classrooms. That's not the point. Of course, there's English happening
everywhere. The head teachers are bilingual, but the bus driver/class aides
are generally English-speaking, and pick up a bit of classroom Spanish along
the way. Other people who come in (subs, etc.) generally speak English. They
do live in an English-speaking country, after all, and they do hear it. Many
of them have older siblings, and they learn English very fast.

In the older classrooms, we gradually add more and more English to the mix.
We try to do it in such a way that we are still supporting the native
language, and have a both/and approach instead of an either/or approach. I
think that's the point of bilingual education.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA