[NIFL-ESL:9429] "Under Attac" by Krashen

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 18:33:36 EDT

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:33:36 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9429] "Under Attac" by Krashen

" It appears Krashen tried to answer the critics' questions on bilingual
education in 1996. Seven (7) years later we are asking these same questions
to critics of Bilingual Education but now with our jobs on the chopping
block. I wonder what Kristen thinks of English-Only Laws and their influence
on the eradication of bilingual education in this country. Krashen is one of
the notable scholars that is most often misquoted by the English-Only
Movement. I would like to know his thoughts on our most recent discussion. I
need to read his book, 'Under Attack: The Case Against Bilingual Education.'
The abstract answers the some of the questions we have been addressing. Has
anyone read his book? I wonder if he will write a sequel to this book."-Ken

Under Attack: The Case Against Bilingual Education
Stephen D. Krashen

Abstract: Bilingual education is under attack. Letters to the editor,
editorials, and talk show hosts repeat the same arguments nearly daily.
Bilingual education, they say, doesn't work. Students in bilingual education
programs do not learn English and those who have never had bilingual
education appear to do very well without it. Also, critics claim that most
parents and teachers don't want bilingual education, and that it contributes
to the erosion of English in the United States.

In this empirically grounded monograph, Krashen answers the critics. His
book examines the following issues:
Does the research show that bilingual education doesn't work? (No)
Is English in trouble? (No)
Are most parents and teachers against bilingual education? (No)
Will bilingual education work for languages other than Spanish? (Yes)
What about those who succeed without bilingual education?
Is bilingual education good for English? (Yes !)
Can bilingual education be improved? (Yes !)

Published by Language Education Associates © 1996
ISBN 0-9652808-2-9
soft cover 9" x 6" 108 pages
price: $16.00

Distributed by: ALTA Book Center
14 Adrian Ct.,
Burlingame, CA 94010.
Tel: (800) ALTA-ESL.
Click on the ALTA link above to order this title,
or go to the ALTA site and search for the author:
http://www.altaesl.com/