[NIFL-ESL:9410] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 18:45:34 EDT

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:45:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9410] Re: Accept English Only donation?

"Basically, would forcing  someone (especially children) to learn English
(if they live in the states) really hurt them?" -Tanya

Tanya,
I am not saying that anyone should be given a free lunch or that K-12
students should not learn English. In fact, we have a constitutional duty to
so. Adults, that's a different story. We have American-educated English-Only
Adult Citizens that could not pass an English Proficiency Test. Both sides
of the argument want students to be taught English (especially children.)
One question in this debate is whether an ESL Teacher can teach and whether
a student learning the English language will be denied the right to speak in
the student's primary language when states enact English Only laws. We are
not simply just talking about the merits of children to learn the English
language, we are talking about whether students and teachers have a right to
speak in their native tongue. Are you saying there is nothing wrong with
that?

Another issue is whether the English Only Movement is not allowing any form
of bilingual education and forcing a method of teaching ESL students in
English Only by enacting English Only Laws. Are you saying there is nothing
wrong with that?

There is another issue in the UK where those seeking a visa must pass a test
before entering this country on a visa in which I believe involves both
language proficiency and other topics selected by UK officials. Are you
saying there is nothing wrong with that?

In a civilized society that cherishes its freedom, how do you suggest we
"force" any adult to learn English when 22% of all Americans are illiterate
and only 5% of those needing services receive them. Are you saying those
that have a better proficiency of the English language  are more superior
than those that have an accent or can't read? Do the literate have more
constitutional rights than the illiterate?

The sad fact is we need immigrants in our work force. Businesses recruit
immigrants and the government looks the other way. The other reason we need
sound solutions to these problems is that we live in a global society and a
global economy. Just like many of our manufacturing jobs are going
elsewhere, many European and Asian jobs are coming here. If we are hostile
to those who speak languages other than English, we are hurting our economy
more than we helping it.

Therefore, if the influx of foreign born citizens are here to stay, then
doesn't it stand to reason we need learn the best ways of teaching them
English. Is the only motivational tool we have as educators to help our
students learn English the fear tactics of English Only Laws. There must be
a better way to find a balanced approach. The legislation of fear, force,
and retaliation does not seem to be an American answer to this problem.

Language is learned best in an environment where all students are wanted and
respected and in a classroom where students are as stress-free as possible.
We will not get a student to even attempt to learn our language by putting a
gun to their head. Trying to teach the foreign born student is much like
being a missionary to a foreign country. It takes loving patience. I had a
pastor once who was a missionary to Lebanon who said there were basically
two ways to motivate people: one is through fear, the other, love.  So let
me ask you, If you were in foreign country, which one would you prefer the
government used to motivate you to learn their language? Would your strategy
help or hurt?

Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com