[NIFL-ESL:9357] RE: Accept English Only donation?

From: Cathy Shank (cshank@access.k12.wv.us)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 11:23:02 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:23:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Cathy Shank" <cshank@access.k12.wv.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9357] RE: Accept English Only donation?

As a follow-up to my initial request for your opinions, I wanted to fill
you in on what has happened.

My colleague replied to the foundation that offered her the donation
that she did not feel comfortable sharing the podium with the
politician.  The foundation also realized that because they are a 501c3
non-profit it would not be a good idea for them to mix their donation
with the politics.  The teacher also examined their website and found
that part of their mission is to provide opportunities to those desiring
to learn English who have few opportunities (thus their interest in
making a donation to a rural ESL program).

As for the students in the class, the teacher said:

"I did present the ESL students with the problem.  First (and before
they knew about the donation), we discussed the question of English as
the official language (some were surprised to hear that it wasn't) and
the possible motivations for supporting an English Only law.  All but
two of the 11 students who discussed it said that the U.S. doesn't need
an official language; one person said since the Native Americans were
here first that language should be the official language.  All agreed,
however, that people from other countries who come to the U.S. to live
should learn English because it's the best way to be 'accepted' by
others. (I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that since these are people
who are attending an EL Civics class.) Two students thought it would be
okay if English were legislated as the 'official' language.  Second, we
discussed whether or not we should accept money from the organization.
(Some people looked up the web page.)  Most of the students said, 'If
you don't have to do anything for the money, take it.'  After the
discussion, we voted; it was unanimous to accept the donation.  (Some
students raised both hands.)  I then invited them to attend the ceremony
on Thursday and we discussed how they might respond to questions then."

I liked that fact that the teacher put the issue before the adult
students.  Sometimes, students' opinions are quite different than we
expect.

Thanks for your spirited input and discussion.  Since we are a small ESL
state, it is always valuable to hear the national perspectives from the
listserv.

Cathy Shank
Phone:  304-766-7655 ext. 112
mailto:cshank@access.k12.wv.us