[NIFL-ESL:9303] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 19:02:11 EDT

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:02:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9303] Re: Accept English Only donation?

I downloaded the PDF of the report and read the Major Policy Implications
section.

The way I read it, high-quality bilingual/ESL programs do more to help kids
succeed in school than other configurations of ESL, pullouts, remedial,
short-term, segregated programs, etc. The programs have to be good quality,
and need to be "sustained long enough (5-6 years) for the ... achievement
gap ... to be closed."

They've measured achievements by students with an assessment and also looked
at the dropout rate.

There is more technical language defining "enrichment 90-10 and 50-50
one-way and two-way developmental bilingual education (DBE) programs (or
dual language, bilingual immersion)," which are the only programs that are
proven effective in raising performance rates.

A very interesting study. In our county, we have two schools who are
implementing bilingual education for K-6. One interesting thing about these
programs is that they have long waiting lists of English-speaking families.
The more highly-educated English-speaking parents know that if their child
can get a dual language, bilingual immersion program, they will have sizable
advantages in years to come, in academics and also in occupational
opportunities. The very same thing is true of Spanish-speaking families.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA