[NIFL-ESL:9301] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Stacey O'Neil (styce@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 17:49:26 EDT

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:49:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Stacey O'Neil" <styce@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9301] Re: Accept English Only donation?

I can't even tell if you are serious in your response, I certainly hope not.

Firstly, the Government already translates ALL publications into 7 languages
to begin with.  That is nothing new. I do not see how this would be a
slippery slope.

Are you an English teacher to help convert the entire nation into a
homogenous group?

You said:
Unless u want state and federal governments
that take us down a slippery of slope of printing any and all documents and
records--let's see, in order of frequency, Spanish, Korean, Chinese,
Vietnamese,
Russian,oh, yes, and Polish, Italian, etc.
dang if they're not willing or able to speak the melting pot language then
they
ARE a drag on the economy, social services, legal system, etc. Name an

My response:

How are immigrants a drag on the economy? There are many vibrant self
sustaining communities throughout urban areas in the US of many language
minority groups.  If you check statistics, most immigrants (even those who
don't know a word of English) do not receive the social services to which
they are entitled.

I would not like to see our major cities try to survive without immigrant
workers.