[NIFL-ESL:9222] Re: writing in esl

From: ttweeton (ttweeton@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 13:23:19 EDT

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:23:19 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ttweeton" <ttweeton@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9222] Re: writing in esl

These expressions do show up in the media and in literature,
> so they are difficult to avoid.  I think discussing the
> expressions and the soci-cultural stuff that goes with
> them is worthwhile, particularly for intermediate and
> advanced level students, since they have the language
> ability to express opinions about the nuances of language.

Jane that is a very good answer. Of course it would be most beneficial to
discuss these idioms if there is time in class to do so and why some may be
pejorative. How else can our foreign students learn why or why not to use
them.  But if one is in a hurry.....best to skip using them until the
student  obtains   an explanation!