[NIFL-ESL:8761] RE: RE: NIFL's Policy

From: John Kamplain (john_kamplain@albanyparkcommunitycenter.org)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 16:04:39 EST

From: "John Kamplain" <john_kamplain@albanyparkcommunitycenter.org>
To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8761] RE: RE: NIFL's Policy
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:04:39 -0600

I've kinda sat back and let you all vent for a while now, but when you put
words in my mouth and/or attempt to categorize my teaching philosophy, I
have to take issue.

1. Not ONCE have I said ANYTHING to the effect of "We should have taken Iraq
a long time back" or ANYTHING resembling that. I have all of my input into
this listserv saved. You should check your facts before accusing me of
saying anything. You don't fully know my political opinions, nor do I know
yours; nor do I attempt to pigeon-hole yours. If you're talking about
politeness, have the politeness to not represent my beliefs for me.

2. Looking back at these threads on the listserv, there have been moments
during my exchanges with Charles that I wish I would have chosen other
language or used more discretion. In the heat of the exchange I said one or
two things which were outside the scope of good debate. So did Charles. But,
when I was told that this type of exchange is no longer welcome on this
site, I stopped. I shouldn't have got into this type of debate on this
listserv to begin with, as I believe this whole "impending war" debate has
detracted from what has been a very good resource. And for all this, I
apologize.

3. I'm wondering how you came to the conclusion that I think that ESL
instruction is "...the mere teaching of discrete linguistic skills..." I
made several attempts to look at the war debate from an EFF / contextual
viewpoint. I have offered suggestions and asked for direction in this vein
to no avail.

4. I too regret that Charles was booted from this listserv. I'm not for
censorship, but I also understand the prerogatives of the listserv monitor.
That's why I stopped engaging in this discussion. I think that the fact that
Charles re subscribed to the listserv only to demean it, engaged in calling
names and apparently sent a threatening e-mail to a member to this list has
more to do with why he's been taken off than "censorship".

5. I will continue to subscribe to this site, but will refrain from engaging
in political discussions that do not have a firm grounding in enhancing
one's curricula.

Regards,

John Kamplain