[NIFL-ESL:8594] Re: RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 18:45:12 EST

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:45:12 -0500
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov, nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov (Multiple recipients of list)
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8594] Re: RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

Colleagues:

On March 11, 1992, Barton Gellman wrote an article for the Washington Post describing a leaked, classified, memo written  under the supervision of Paul Wolfowitz, then undersecretary for policy at the Defense Department.  Defense Secretary Dick Cheney  acknowledged  that he and Wolfowitz "had played substanial roles in the document's creation and endorsed its principal views."

I know about this because I read the newspaper and got a hint there that sent me back  to 1992.

A  couple of more quotes:  "....scenarios....included an American-led defense of Lithuania and Poland from  invasion by Russia, wars against Iraq  and North Korea to repel attacks on their southern  neighbors..."

Sen. Byrd:  " The basic thrust of the document  seems  to be this: 'We love being the sole remaining superpower intheworld andwe  want so much  to remain that way that we are willing to put at risk the basic health of our economy and well-being of  our people.....'"

I listened to  Sen. Byrd  last  fall and heard an up-dated version of  this argument.

For more hair raising, or at least informative, quotes, go to the article yourself.

OK, so I was on my own treasure hunt, and I struck pay dirt,  but  I  think teachers can instruct would  be citizens on how to get useful information like this.  Maybe it's too much, but policies do not come out of a vaccuum, and this is an example of how to track down a current issue  to a written document.

Andrea