[NIFL-ESL:8554] Re: reading level of public resources for

From: Ujwala Samant (usamant@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 12:27:51 EST

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:27:51 -0800
From: Ujwala Samant <usamant@comcast.net>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8554] Re: reading level of public resources for
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov

This dialogue started by Dottie et al made me look at the classes I am in
contact with. Some of them have already experienced what the media and the
politicians are talking about. Perhaps, this might be a moment where
learners who have experienced war and terror could share how they dealt with
it, in practical terms (duct tape or storing water, etc.) as well as
emotional terms. I remember my mother talking to me about things she was
doing (brown papering windows, the need for calm, candles, rationing of
materials, etc.), as well as the drill we had to do when the evening flights
started over Delhi, etc. All done very calmly as if it was a new routine for
a few weeks. The same way she would ask us to help her get the house ready
for the upcoming monsoon, or the intense summer. Different routines for
different seasons, all needing preparations.

I am not a panic princess, but a certain amount of caution does not hurt.
Just the same way I have taught learners how to act when stopped by a
traffic policeman or how to use an ATM.
regards,
Ujwala Samant