[NIFL-ESL:8450] Re: Leave no child behind

From: Charles Jannuzi (jannuzi@edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 22:10:43 EST

From: "Charles Jannuzi" <jannuzi@edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp>
To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8450] Re: Leave no child behind
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:10:43 +0900

I enjoyed Sissy's post, but am zeroing in on an issue she raises which also
interests me:

She wrote, in part:
> The exchange, nevertheless, points to something else:
> My background and training are as a long-time (20+ years) ESOL for
> adults teacher. In the trenches, year in and year out. I love it.
> Having drifted to advocacy work along the way, I've developed a working
> theory that I'm still working to articulate, but it goes something like
> this:
>  There are the practitioners, those of us teaching. There are the
> theorists, those whose work informs and provides tremendous insight
> (frequently, not always) about effective practice. There are the 'policy
> wonks' who oversee and monitor (and try to influence) how much power and
> resources we will have to do what all of us are trying to do.
>
> Most folks work in one or two of those 3 groups (not me, I'm still
> trying to decide where my niche is; although I love keeping up with the
> theory-stuff I do not think I have what it takes to be an academic..) I
> digress. My constant amazement is the tremendous disconnect between the
> three groups. Some of the disconnect is well-discussed...Teachers may
> bristle at what the academics come up with, etc.

I think there is a lack of  understanding about the complex roles teachers
fill. Teachers are practitioners in the classroom, but they are also the
true theorists of teaching, learning in classrooms and schools. This is not
grand, tie-it-all together-with-a- million-references-and-explain-it
theory--the sort that appeals to academics on a career track that rewards
scholarly output (though this isn't exactly fair because a lot of people who
could be called 'academics' are teachers, too). Rather, the theory that
teachers operate with is myriad, inter-related and frequently arises ad hoc
and goes back into long term memory once this or that complex problem is
solved (though in a revised state that is then kept ready for future
different but . This is why, try as they might, academics can't essentialize
what will or what will not make success at teaching. It simply is too
complex, dynamic and too inaccessible to those who are not actually
teaching.

That being said, far be it from me to say that academics do not have a role.
They can be that 'outside' intelligence that can see teachers in
organizations in the way that those caught up in organizations can not.
However, they can not use that perspective to monopolize theory or make
unwarranted knowledge claims about what is 'right' or 'wrong' in the
classroom.

I hope this makes sense. This, I believe, is one source of the
'disconnections' you are talking about. Another disconnect that interests me
is the one with material writers, who have a strong connection with
publishers but whose connection to either academics or classroom
practitioners is often actually rather weak (though I am thinking
specifically of ELT worldwide and may not understand ESL sufficiently in the
US relative to my frame of reference).

Yours,
Charles Jannuzi
Fukui, Japan