[NIFL-ESL:9020] Re: Presentation

From: Andres Muro (AndresM@epcc.edu)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 16:09:11 EDT

Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:09:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Andres Muro" <AndresM@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9020] Re: Presentation

Elsa:

Agreed. I think that the distinction between BICS and CALPS still applies, and in my opinion, it is a valid and applicable one. However, language acquisition happens in context which involves social, cultural, economic, psychological and historical forces that shape the acquisition process. In other words, BICS and CALPS are elements in social context that may impact language acquisition, together with disposition towards school, economic conditions, cultural background, etc, etc.  I think that the problem is that BICS and CALPS cannot be separated from the other forces that shape language acquisition and studied as independent variables. Still, I think that they are important concepts to know and understand.

Recently, I read Within our Reach by Elizabeth Shor. It has changed the way I look at acquisition theories and models considerably.

Andres

>>> Elsa.Auerbach@umb.edu 05/22/03 01:37PM >>>
Please let's be careful not to oversimplify this very complex theoretical construct.  Cummins himself has moved away from using the terms BICS and CALP because of all the ways the concepts are reductionist and have been mis-applied.  Reading Cummins own recent work is a place to start in understanding these issues.

Elsa Auerbach