[NIFL-ESL:8975] Re: ERIC Digest on using poetry

From: olivia durham (odurham@integrity.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 23:16:09 EDT

Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 23:16:09 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "olivia durham" <odurham@integrity.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8975] Re: ERIC Digest on using poetry

Oh do try some poetry.  I used the lessons I got off this list this semester
(modeling on Langston Hughes...Good morning poem, etc.) and got some of the
most moving, lovely poems from my intro to comp. class.  Most of them had
never read English poetry before.  It gave them so much confidence to know
they had written poetry in English!  And they come up with such creative
wordings (i.e. 'spider nets' for spider webs).  Plus, I can't really argue
with their punctuation, so that's freeing.   In their evals, that was the
thing they most commented on.  We had a poetry contest and almost everyone
submitted one.

Here is a very simple poem anyone could start with. (from memory, so it may
not be perfectly quoted.

Emily Dickinson

A Word

A word is dead