[NIFL-ESL:8969] Re: English immersion

From: Maria Elena Gonzalez (maria@alri.org)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 15:32:55 EDT

Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:32:55 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Maria Elena Gonzalez" <maria@alri.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8969] Re: English immersion

A good resource is "Explorations in American Culture:  Readings for Critical
Thinking, Writing and Discussion" by Kathrine Jason and Holly Posner.  It
was published by Heinle and Heinle in 1995.  It is Advanced level but the
ideas can be adapted for a more intermediate level.  I like the way it is
organized in different sections (American Dreaming:  The Pursuit of
Happiness; Melting Pot or Patchwork Quit; Defining Gender, etc.) with
readings by well-known writers and thinkers.  There are exercises at the end
of each chapter and sometimes suggestions for films to see.

Maria E. Gonzalez
SABES Coordinator
Adult Literacy Resource Institute/Boston
SABES Regional Center
617-782-8956, X15
617-782-9011 (fax)