[NIFL-ESL:8934] Performance assessment

From: Valley Peters (valleydemt@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 15:57:46 EDT

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:57:46 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Valley Peters <valleydemt@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8934] Performance assessment

I'm writing to inquire about assessment in ESL
programs.  I work for a literacy program that offers
three levels of courses:  Beginning, high beginning,
and intermediate.  We currently use the BEST test.
Recently I instituted a competency based curriculum
and would like to be able to more accurately assess
student's process with the objectives outlined in our
curriculum.  The BEST test is fine for helping us to
level the students, but it doesn't give a clear
picture of what they're learning in our classes.

Originally, I had considered giving pre-assessments to
each level on the first day of class.  But they've
already had the BEST assessment and I don't want to
scare them off with another. The other problem with a
written exam is that many of our students come to us
without being able to read or write. I guess what I'd
like to know is if other programs have instituted
specific assessments to address a similar situation.

I'm also looking into performance assessments and
would like to hear how people are using them in their
programs.

Thanks!

Valley Peters
Adult Program Coordinator