[NIFL-ESL:8807] RE: Explicit early teaching of pronunciation?

From: Susan Rowley (susanrowley@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 18:46:16 EST

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:46:16 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Susan Rowley" <susanrowley@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8807] RE: Explicit early teaching of pronunciation?

I agree absolutely, Allan.  Awareness of the target language and interference from the native language is key in good production.  Awareness comes with explicit teaching.  Competent learners come from exploiting both internal awareness criteria and explicit teaching into personal learning strategies.

Susan Rowley