[NIFL-ESL:8729] testing for pre-lit/low-lit learners

From: Krista Anderson (realzelda@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 23:31:28 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:31:28 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Krista Anderson" <realzelda@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8729] testing for pre-lit/low-lit learners

Someone had asked about tests for low literate learners. (I lost the original message.) We recently started using the LaRue test, designed by Charles LaRue.  It's designed especially for learners with no education in their native language, and shows progress in that specific group of learners earlier than the CASAS tests do.  I believe he developed it through a grant, and that the tests and materials are somehow available through the Minnesota Literacy Council website.  I don't have the specific site here with me...Hope that helped a bit!

Krista Anderson