[NIFL-ESL:8458] RE: using poetry in the adult ed EL/Civics

From: Hillary Gardner (hgardner@lagcc.cuny.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 20:36:20 EST

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:36:20 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Hillary Gardner" <hgardner@lagcc.cuny.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8458] RE: using poetry in the adult ed EL/Civics

Yes, thank you. This is a great resource.

>>> miriam@cal.org 01/13/03 04:49PM >>>
Hillary:

In 1999, NCLE published a digest by Joy Peyton and Pat Rigg about using poetry in the adult ESL class. It offers suggestions/activities on how to read a poem in class and how to write one. It even has a lesson plan for one poem included there. The poem is about working, so the content is directly related to adult ESL.

Check it out online at http://www.cal.org/ncle/digests/Poetry.htm

Miriam
*********
Miriam Burt
Associate Director, National Center for ESL Literacy Education (NCLE)
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, DC 20015
(202) 362-0700 (phone)
(202) 363-7204 (fax)
miriam@cal.org
Visit NCLE's Web site at www.cal.org/ncle
We're the only national center devoted exclusively to providing technical assistance to those working with adults learning English as a second language.