[NIFL-ESL:9539] Re: Spanish Literacy

From: Mona Curtis (MCurtis@tvcc.cc)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 16:51:03 EDT

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:51:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mona Curtis" <MCurtis@tvcc.cc>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9539] Re: Spanish Literacy

>>> Mona Curtis 10/07/03 02:41PM >>>
What are some typical activities that tutors do with students?  Do they tutor one-on-one, small groups, large groups?  At TVCC, we have a situation which makes native language instruction difficult to plan.  #1 we don't have huge numbers.  We might have 20 students enrolled but they come only when they can, due to work schedules.  So you only have 2 or 3 at at time.  Then, among those 2 or 3, there can be widely differing levels.  We end up individualizing most of our instruction, which is good.

>>> mquiroga <mquiroga@unionsett.org> 10/06/03 12:46PM >>>
Hi Mona :

Welcome to the  Commitee for  Basic Education in Spanish  (CEBE)
For more than  20  years , adult education providers  have been offering
 BENL or  Basic Education in  Native Language to Spanish and  Haitian
 Creole  students in New York . Even  though  our population is
increasing ,our classes have been  reduced . Our population , as  in
your case ,enroll in GED or  Pre- GED classes , but many  belong to
lower levels . We can provide  you with lists of materials that
 teachers use succesfully, as well  as with  sugested techniques. With
the very low levels    it's important to work  one  on one ,but  there
are as many  varieties as there are teachers  and  students.

We are now  preparing a  guide for Spanish  Pre-GED   teachers and we
will be happy to share  our work with you.
 You also can contact us at Union  Settlement Association , Adult
Education  Program. 237 East 104th street . N.Y. N.Y. 10029.
Att.  Maria Quiroga : Tel  212- 828 6298
  Truly yours ,
Maria  Quiroga.