[NIFL-ESL:9700] RE: Maria Spelleri is the expert on this topic ...

From: Lloyd David (lloyd_david@ceilearn.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 15:34:18 EST

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:34:18 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lloyd David" <lloyd_david@ceilearn.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9700] RE: Maria Spelleri is the expert on this topic ...

Continuing Education Institute/CEI has been providing English as a Working
Language classes in companies for  20 years. We first ask the company to set
up an Employee Involvement Team to plan and monitor the program. The steps
for the Team are as follows: develop the goals for the particular class,
design a workplace needs assessment, recruit the students, set up the
schedule for employee assessments, schedule the classes, help with the
development of the curriculum and finally assist in the methods of
evaluation. The books and materials are determined after the needs
assessment and curriculum have been developed. Books are usually recommended
by the teacher after the first or second class meeting since often there are
a variety of language levels in a class. The teachers are experienced ESL
instructors who are familiar with the variety of texts. It is important that
the goals of the class are understood by all since class time is limited and
the results should meet the needs of both the students and the employer I
hope this will be helpful.

Lloyd David, EdD.
President/Executive Director
Continuing Education Institute/CEI