[NIFL-ESL:8704] teaching of pronunciation

From: Paul Rogers (englishtoday2002@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 08:46:18 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:46:18 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Paul Rogers <englishtoday2002@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8704] teaching of pronunciation

     I usually teach beginning Spanish speaking
students, and I put a great deal of emphasis on
pronunciation for at least the first month or so.
     My method is very simple:
1. I  focus on those sounds which are difficult for
Spanish speakers, such as short i, short u, g, j, v,
th, s followed by a consonant, etc.
2. Using exercises, I conduct occasional "drills"
during my course.
3. Students are "required" to speak in class and to
read out loud.
4. And I do all this as humorously as possible.
    As we all know, there is a direct connection
between being able to speak a language and
understanding that language when it is spoken. So, in
my opinion, it is vey important to teach pronunciation
immediately.
     I have noticed that students develope more
confidence when they are able to speak fairly well.
And the converse also is true, I think.
     It appears to me that students learn English
faster with a good foundation in pronunciation.
     Personally, I have studied 6 languages in my life
to one degree or another, and I always learned
pronunciation first.
Paul Rogers