[NIFL-FAMILY:1207] Scary News

From: Leah Carpenter (lcarp@kih.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 08:33:57 EDT

Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:33:57 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Leah Carpenter" <lcarp@kih.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1207] Scary News

The information below was posted to another listserv I subscribe to. I am
still shocked by it and I have reread it several times to see if I missed
anything. Does anyone have any more information on this?
Leah Carpenter
 Family Services Coordinator
KRFH Head Start
501 S. Keeneland Drive
Richmond, KY 40475

Knowing that children's issues are typically treated quite a bit more
favorably than those of adults, read this frightening  excerpt from the New
York Courts:

"...the court ruled that schools were obligated by the state Constitution to
do nothing more than prepare students for low-level jobs, for serving on a
jury and for reading campaign literature — the equivalent, the court
suggested, of an eighth- or a ninth-grade education."

The article  is online for online  NY Times Subscriber at

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/30/education/30SCHO.html?tntemail0=&pagewante
d=all&position=bottom