[NIFL-FAMILY:1305] ESL Parenting question

From: Colleen Angaiak (c_angaiak@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 14:11:54 EDT

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:11:54 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Colleen Angaiak <c_angaiak@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1305] ESL Parenting question

 My Even Start program is about to start a twice
weekly class -- 1 hour of parenting ed, lunch with the
children, and 1.5 hours of ESL instruction. We have
contracted the ESL instruction with an experienced
teacher, but I will be responsible for the parenting
piece. My group is quite mixed -- several Spanish
speakers, one Chinese, one Cambodian, and some that I
have referrals for but not concrete info.

So my question is this: HOW do I teach parenting to
this group?? I am monolingual, and in my community,
there are not people who speak these languages
available to do the teaching. I am not new to
teaching, but I am new to both ESL and parenting
instruction, so any advice is welcome! Thanks.

Colleen Angaiak
Even Start Coordinator
Literacy Council of Alaska
1949 Gillam Way, Box E