[NIFL-FAMILY:1306] Re: ESL Parenting question

From: B. Detering (openroadak@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 15:45:02 EDT

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:45:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "B. Detering" <openroadak@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1306] Re: ESL Parenting question

Dear Colleen,

My suggestion is to use very basic children's books
and stories that have lots of repetition and pictures
that allow you to teach vocabulary without
translating. The "The old lady who wasn't afraid of
anything immediatly pops to mind."  Sorry if the title
isn't exact I'm translating from Spanish.  Also
Children's TV workshop did great videos to get
parent's into chatting and looking at books with very
young children and the video is 1/2 Spanish and 1/2
English.  "Using Folktales" by Cambridge University
Press has been endlessly useful in my ESL classes.

Berestain Bears books address alot of parenting
questions/needs.

In some of my classes I have asked adult learners to
finish writing a story that starts with "one-time when
my daughter (or son) was (X) years old."  This led to
lots of laughs and sharing.

Brenda Detering
Hekab Be Biblioteca de Akumal A.C.
(A bilingual Library and family Literacy Project on
the Carribean coast of the Yucatan Peninsula)