[NIFL-FAMILY:1208] Re: Clips and Cross Posts

From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson (varshna@grandecom.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 10:21:11 EDT

Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:21:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson <varshna@grandecom.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1208] Re: Clips and Cross Posts

on 7/1/02 6:32 AM, Jon Lee at jlee@famlit.org wrote:

> Good Morning!
>
> From: Public Education Network Weekly NewsBlast
>
> Very scary...
>
> SUPREME COURT GIVES GO-AHEAD TO VOUCHER PROGRAM
> In a 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court said a controversial school voucher
> program does not constitute the establishment of religion.
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54620-2002Jun27.html

Mr. Lee,

I am pleased with the Supreme Court's decision.  Unlike the public school
system, when a charter school or a private school (religious or otherwise)
fails to educate its student body, parents may choose to enroll their
students elsewhere.  I have never met parents who enjoy chasing failure.

In Texas, there has been much controversy over the performance of several
charter schools. The issues have ranged from mismanagement of funds to low
performance (of students) when measured against state-mandated standards.
These schools have either been closed and their charter revoked or the
schools have been placed under the supervision of a "master".

Close a school because it fails to educate its student body!  What a novel
idea!  Teachers and administrators having to prove their worth?  Astounding!
This is not the failure of the charter system: it is the intended result!

If your neighborhood gas station charged $4 per gallon for regular unleaded
that you could get elsewhere for $2, how long would it stay in business?
Wouldn't you even feel pleased that for $3, you could afford the super
unleaded at a competitor's pump? And once you became a regular user of super
unleaded, how long would it be before you started looking at other
performance-related issues that affect your decision to keep buying super
unleaded?  Isn't that what an educated consumer does?

If we are in this business to produce an educated student, then we should
follow the example set in higher education: compete for students and
resources (including faculty).

While it is noble to pursue policies with "the children" in mind, it is
ignoble to keep producing students bound for remedial reading and writing
classes, adult basic education programs, and adult literacy programs.  *We*
in adult education see the results of the current education system.

Thank you and have a GREAT day. vnj