[NIFL-FAMILY:844] Re: Hi everybody

From: Nooalf@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 00:02:39 EST

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:02:39 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Nooalf@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:844] Re: Hi everybody

I am familiar with  Pittman's I.T.A.  The system was originally used
throughout England in the 60's with great success . It had similar results
here with a federally fund program , but simply faded away when the funds
stopped . It is still in use, mainly to teach English to immigrants.

There is a % of  students who will have trouble learning to read traditional
English under any circumstances and they were the same students who had
problems making the transition . The main flaw , at least in this country,
was that the teachers using it were not given any instructions on how to
administer the program .

    Pittman's I.T.A. is not a perfectly phonetic system .  Because its whole
purpose was to teach traditional English,  Pittman made various compromises
to hopefully create a closer look to it .  There are 10 more letters than
needed and many of them are unwieldy monstrosities that serve no purpose but
to make words look as they do in traditional English .

    Nooalf is intended to replace traditional English . Although it retains
enough similarity to traditional spelling to be read by people who have never
seen it before, it makes no compromise to the 1 letter per verbal sound rule
.

     Since the present spelling is likely to remain dominant for at least
another 20 years it will still be necessary for people to learn it .  The
advantage Nooalf offers is to establish a well organized phonetic logic in
the student's minds with which to sort and classify the many incongruent
spellings of the old nonsystem .  Its a way to think about spelling rather
than relying completely on memory .

JO